One month before your move
❏ Clean out your closets, basement and garage.
❏ Source moving boxes and start packing! Remember to label the contents in each box, and where they belong in your new home.
❏ Track moving expenses and keep receipts, since some items may be tax deductible.
❏ Find friends to help, or request quotes from a few moving companies. Get all your move details in writing, including moving insurance coverage.
❏ Transfer your household insurance to your new home.
Two weeks before your move
❏ Set up, transfer, or disconnect utilities, home services and deliveries.
BC Hydro 1(800)224-9376
FortisBC Gas 1(888)224-2710
Shaw Cable 250-760-1999
❏ Call Canada Post at 1-866-607-6301 to have your mail forwarded.
❏ Share your new address with your family and friends.
One week before your move
❏ Clean your home from top to bottom, or arrange cleaning services.
❏ Confirm all the move details with your friends or movers.
A few days before your move
❏ Place important documents (passports, home purchase/sale papers) in a safe box and label “Do not move”, so you can transport them yourself during the move.
❏ Prepare an “open first” box with essentials you’ll need in your new home, like towels, bedding, basic kitchen and bathroom supplies, toys for the kids, paper towels, and tools.
❏ Label all keys and place appliance paperwork in one place for new occupants.
❏ Keep your home phone plugged in, and have a cell phone handy to stay connected.
❏ Supervise the move, and ensure furniture and boxes are placed in the right rooms.
❏ Review the movers’ bill carefully before signing. Check for damaged items.
❏ Say goodbye to your old home: check all rooms and closets for forgotten items, turn down the thermostat, lock up, and leave the keys with the landlord, new owners or real estate agent. ❏ At your new home, make sure all the utilities are on and working properly.
❏ Unpack your “open first” box, order in dinner, and thank those who helped you move.
After your move
❏ Unpack, then donate or recycle your boxes, or return your rented boxes.
❏ Change the address on your driver’s license and car insurance.
❏ Inform your bank, insurance company, accountant, lawyer, and others about the change of address.
❏ Go to Service BC (address: 460 Selby St) to apply for BC service card if you are moving from another province.
❏ Upgrade your new home if necessary according to your inspection report.
❏ Apply for schools for the kids, and join community groups.
❏ Plan your housewarming party!
If you are thinking of Buying a property, I will do the following professionally for you and your family.
1. Offer you listing information ahead of the MLS system based on unique professional resource and RE/MAX office resource.
2. Provide you market update to assist your decision making.
3. Help you to sort out your priorities and find properties for your need.
4. Book viewings for you and show you properties.
5. Look for information of target properties, and find out problems that are easily neglected.
6. Present you in negotiation with the seller, and strive for better price and conditions for you.
7. Draft the Contract of Purchase and Sale, and protect your interest as much as possible.
8. Refer professional mortgage specialist, inspectors, lawyers, etc. to you, to assist you in the transaction.
9. Guide you through the whole process of the transaction, until you settle comfortably in your new home.
10. Do not disclose your personal information to any party unless under your permission, even after the closure of the deal.